DIY Guy: Christmas Gift- Etched Glass
You’ve done it again… Christmas is on its way fast and you have no idea what to get anyone.
Lucky for you, ANDesign has your back with this DIY project to personalize a simple gift.
What we used:
- Glass Etching cream
- X-acto knife
- Painters tape
- Isopropyl alcohol
- Microfiber cloth
- Protective gloves
- Palette knife
- Matte cutting board
- A glass with a smooth surface
Step 1: Creating a Stencil (you can skip this step if you have a stencil design already)
- Print out your subject for the stencil—trim excess paper way.
- Place printed paper on top of the vinyl and tape down to the matte cutting board.
- Cut using the x-acto knife.
Step 2: Preparing the Glass
- Wipe down the glass using the isopropyl alcohol
- Rinse with water
- Dry the glass using the microfiber cloth
Step 3: Applying the stencil to the glass
- Peel off the back of the vinyl and center it on the glass–you’ll want to press down the stencil from the middle out as to not create any bubbles
- Apply the painters tape around the stencil to protect the surrounding glass from the etching cream
Step 4: Etching the glass
- Put on protective gloves
- Use your palette knife to spread an even coat of etching cream over the stencil
- Make sure there are no areas within the stencil that are not completely covered with the cream and that there are no air bubbles
- Let sit for 15 minutes (or however long your etching cream requires)
- Remove the stencil and thoroughly wash.
- You’re done!