Failed DIY: Glass Bottles Into Drinking Cups
Anytime you create or design something there’s always a period of trial and error and you’re constantly learning what works and what doesn’t work. Sometimes, no matter how many times you try to make it work out, it doesn’t. It isn’t easy to give up or accept failure for us, but this DIY project that we were excited about had us stumped.
This is the image that got us interested in the project:
What we used (supplies we originally thought we needed):
- Glass Bottles
- Cotton string
- Lighter fluid
- Protective gloves and eyewear
- Tie the string around the bottle above the label.
- Dip the string in the lighter fluid.
- Place the string back on the bottle above the label.
- Trim off excess string from where you tied the knot.
- Put on gloves and protective eyewear.
- Light the string over a sink, turn the bottle horizontally and rotate so the flame spreads.
- When you hear a crack run the bottle under cool water and the neck will fall off.
Then you’re supposed to sand the edges until they’re smooth.
We couldn’t get past the second step though because our bottles kept breaking uneven and sending cracks down the sides of the glass.
We tried a different string but that didn’t work either.
So, we did some more research to see how other people were doing it.
We decided to use a bucket of ice water instead of the sink water and we also tried using alcohol instead or lighter fluid.
We got the same results.
We tired thicker glass too but that cracked uneven and down the sides as well.
No matter what we tried we were unable to get a clean cut. On the bright side, we did get to spend the day drinking beer and playing with fire!
If anyone has done this successfully please let us know!